Monday, June 25, 2012

First Family Camp-out

 This past Friday night David, Emma & I headed to Cleburne State park for an overnight camp-out. 
Yes, we decided that the heat of the summer would be the best time for this little adventure. 
We are really smart like that. ;)
We were actually pleasantly surprised at the fact that we were not completely miserable! 
In fact, we actually got a little cool overnight. 

Camping with a toddler was so fun! 
I really think that Emma would have been 100% content to just play in the tent the entire time!
She LOVED it!

Daddy setting up the tent & Emma collecting some treasures in her bucket

Testing out the tent to make sure it will work


Helping Daddy collect small sticks for the fire

Roasting Marshmallows
She had been most excited about this part all week! Each time we would mention that we were going camping, she would always talk about eating marshmallows. 

 Eating her first smore!


We all went to bed after it was dark, and David & I had a "what were we thinking" moment. 
It was hot, even though we had a fan blowing on us, and Emma was going NUTS she was so excited.
At one point she said "time to go back to Emma's house now?"
Um, NO, baby girl. It is NOT. 
She finally fell asleep & after that we all slept great! 
She didn't even get up with the sun, which I was afraid of!

After breakfast, we asked what she wanted to do first. Fishing, swimming or go to the playground.
She had to really think hard about that one, but chose swimming. 
So we headed to the lake for the first of three swims that day.
It was a beautiful morning, quiet & peaceful.



Next, we headed to the playground...

Then David & Emma headed out to go fishing while I cleaned up around the campsite & waited for our good friends to arrive. They were going to join us for the rest of the day.

After they got there, we all headed back to the lake for swim #2.

Anton brought his little boat & took the kids for a ride. 
I love this picture of him with Emma & Addie. Best buddies.

Andrea, Addie, Emma & Anton out for a spin.

David & I stayed at the dock with Gabe so he could keep swimming.

 At least until a HUGE water snake brushed up against David & got everyone out of the water in record speed. YIKES!!

We ate lunch, packed up camp, went back to let the kids swim one more time, then hit the road. 
Emma was asleep less than two minutes after we drove out of the park entrance 
& I believe she feel in love with camping. 
She asked me this morning "go swimming in lake, pweese, mommy, pweeeeeese!"
You know she really wants something when you get the "please, mommy, pleeeease!"

I hope this is the first of many family camping trips in the years to come. 
I have so many fond memories from my childhood of camping trips with family & friends, 
and hope that our children will have the same!



4 comments:

Mary Kay said...

I am so proud of ya'll were continuing the tradition of camping! We do have so many precious memories of camping trips with family and friends. I love all the pictures and love that she is begging for more!!! That gets me excited for this years Knight Camp...she will be so much fun...not that I ever doubted that, but I know she will have a blast with her three boy cousins at Knight Camp 2012!!! Yahoo!!!

Wendi said...

What fun!!! I can't wait until Jake is bigger to go, too. I love her little girl chair... so cute. Glad you had a great weekend.

JENNY said...

So fun! I love that you guys did this. We have yet to take Jude camping. Little Madelynn has put a hold on things like that. I don't think Chris or I are brave enough to take both of them camping quite yet. haha! Soon, though!

Jessica said...

Emma is just too precious sitting in her cute little camp chair with a mouthful of marshmallow. ;) Camping is one of my favorite family pastimes as well - glad to see you're starting early! If only we were so brave...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers