Calling all mommies...
The time has come! We are about to begin the process of going to cow's milk...I can't believe my baby girl is already old enough.
So, I have a question for you:
Do you give your kids regular Whole Milk or Organic Milk?
I have heard so much about their being so many hormones in milk now, and don't want all that yucky stuff in Emma's little body. Are their certain brands that don't have it, or is it better to go Organic?
Tell me what you do!
{and any other special weaning tips you might have would be welcomed & appreciated!!}
*note: Emma will NOT take a bottle, only a sippy cup with water. She's never taken formula either. yikes! :)
*note: Emma will NOT take a bottle, only a sippy cup with water. She's never taken formula either. yikes! :)



8 comments:
When we were weening Maddox I started out doing half milk and half formula for a little while and then switched to completely whole milk and that helped him with the transition. Because I tried to just going straight to whole milk right off the bat and he wasn't having it. But once I did half and half for a while he made the switch great. I also heat it up a little in the microwave and that helps too. (I still do that for him) Hope your transition goes smoothly!!
I don't have any suggestions on transitioning, but as a nurse, I would HIGHLY suggest that you go with organic milk. We are seeing more and more little girls hitting puberty earlier and earlier b/c of the extra exposure to hormones and for infants and toddlers, milk is one of their biggest exposure points.
When I weened Micah I started slowly subbing a normal nursing session with Milk- I just used whole Milk. As he got used to that Id take another session out and so on. I'd try putting the milk in the sippy, if that is what she is used to drinking from. I think it took about a month before he was completely weened. If she doesn't want the milk from you, you could see if she will take it from David (you know, he doesn't have that same milk/food smell you do :).
both of my kids nursed and never took a bottle or formula, and they each have done really well with transitioning. corban is basically emma's age, so we're still in the midst of his transition. i actually gave cailyn soy milk, and sometimes organic soy milk, until we moved out of the country and i didn't have access to it anymore. she isn't allergic or anything like lactose intolerant, but i figured it would be healthy for her and she would never know the difference in taste if that's all she had tasted. to this day, she will switch between regular and soy milk easily. also, i highly recommend organic milk. if you can get that, i agree with the hormone thing. i have seen research (only a little for both sides) against the idea that the milk hormones are affecting little girls, but i just didn't want to chance it with cailyn. so, i say ORGANIC for sure! janine is right...start with a sippy cup...she'll do great!
with both of my kids, to stop nursing them, i just began by dropping a feeding here and there. corban began in the beginning of aug. to nurse just at night and in the morning instead of 4 times (at both naps as well), and in september i plan to go to one feeding and then drop his last one just before october 1 since i will be traveling without the kids then. honestly, you can do this MUCH faster (cailyn did...she went cold turkey from 2 to none when justin and i left her for a week with my parents with NO problems), but i am just emotionally not ready to do that with corban.
ok, this was way too long...sorry. good luck!
Like I told you earlier today, I really would go the organic-hormone free milk choice! I checked on the carton I bought at Wal-Mart and it is the off brand but on the side it says no hormones are in it! I think there is enough out there about how the hormones could be hurting our little girls...to steer clear! Love you and can't believe we are talking about this..this time last year you were getting all ready to nurse her! You have done a great job Ashley! I know you have provided her with so many nutrients!!! Way to go Mommy!
No advice, but I'm excited to read other's.
Catching up on my blog reading-- Emma is getting SOOOOO big! I can't believe she is already 11 months old.
PS- I love the 2 dresses you sewed for her in an older post! So talented!
I think I weaned Jake slowly, transitioning him from breastmilk to half and half (half bm/half formula), and then he went to whole milk. With Jack, there was NO problem...the kid will eat/drink anything. And now, he LIVES for his "MILL" (milk) everyday. :) With Miss Priss, not sure what I am going to do, but just hoping she starts getting into her sippy cup soon, or else we are in trouble! Ha! :) Oh, and I buy Horizon Whole Milk. :)
We just transitioned from nursing to organic milk gradually. They never took a bottle or formula so we just put it in their sippy cups and they did just fine. The only brand our Wal-Mart has in horizon and I do not like it. It would sour really quickly and was more than double the price non organic. After about a year I finally just switched to regular whole milk. I would really prefer to do organic, but I need to find a store around here that carries another brand. I can't believe she is already old enough for milk!!
Post a Comment