Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Oh, Baby! {Nursery Editions}

This is an exciting one!
I still LOVE Emma's room each time I walk in! I can honestly say that there is not a single thing I wish I would have done differently.

David & I had a set budget that we wanted to stay in, so I worked really hard to be creative & come up with ways to cut corners. I had so much fun planning & putting the room together...and stayed within the budget, which made it even better! :) To me, it's a fun challenge to see how many things I make myself, redo to fit the room, or find at a great bargain...and that's just what I did when decorating Emma's room.

I will walk you through each part of her room...
Let the tour begin!

Wall #1
*This is Emma's Crib. It was a present from David's parents, one we are still thankful for! It is one that can transition with her {or future kids} moving from a crib, to toddler bed, to a full size bed.
*When we were buying the crib at a store in Longview, the owner apologized for a handwritten ticket, as his computer had just gotten a major virus. David offered to help him out with it & in turn scored us a FREE mattress!
*Her bedding is from Kid's Village in Abilene. I LOVE going in this store, they are so friendly & helpful & have really cute stuff! When I was pregnant with Emma, I walked in there one day & saw this new bedding & fell in love!

Anytime I am decorating a room, I always look for my "inspiration piece." {Sometimes it's a pillow, a piece of artwork, a piece of fabric, etc.} So when I saw this bedding, I knew that was my inspiration. I loved the colors-I am not much of a pastel person, so I loved that it was something bold & different. I also love decorating with birds, so that was another selling point! I knew it would be enough of a theme, without being TOO "themey" {which is another thing I'm not a huge fan of}. One day I was at school & got a message from my mom that Kid's Village was having a HUGE sale & my dream bedding was included! Which was a surprise since it was a brand new line. I ended up getting a GREAT deal on it & saved a chuck of change in the process! :)

*Above her bed are canvas' spelling her name. Each one is hung with brown ribbon.
Mom & I had so much fun making these! The fabric I used to cover them is from my ALL time favorite fabric store, Cabbage Rose, in Fort Worth. Oh my-they have the most adorable selection of fabrics you will EVER find!

*Next to her crib is a hamper that mom found %50 at Hobby Lobby. I sewed a new lining to match the room & added the brown ribbon.
*In the corner are two pillows mom sewed using fabric & pillow forms I had, and some fabric from Cabbage Rose.

Wall #2
*The brown chair came from Kid's Village in Abilene. It is SO comfy!
*Mom made this precious pillow using a form I had & again fabric from C.R.
*The little table was a perfect find at Home Goods for only $30!
*I had the lamp & shade. I spiced it up a little with trim I bought.
*The two frames & mats above the chair came from Michaels using a 40% off coupon. I put different brown scrapbook papers in each slot. The would have looked great to leave that way for good, but I wanted to put a picture of Emma on each month "birthday." I take a picture of her each much in the chair, by her "Emma" pillow with a little card saying how old she is. It's so fun to look back & see how much she is growing!

Wall #3
*I had the brown valance & added the yellow trim
*Mom made the polka dot curtains! I loved how it all turned out. I had the rod already hanging.
*The book shelf is one that my parents had found at church that was going to be thrown out & gave it to me a few years ago to use in my classroom. I stained it to match her crib, on the shelves are books & toys.
*The yellow pail is her trash can, mom found it Home Goods, I believe.

*In the corner is this brown shelf that was my grandmothers. I had painted it brown a few years ago, so it fit in perfectly!
I also had the sweet little bird cage & hung it from the top. On the shelves are baskets from Lowes that hold extra diapers & wipes.

Wall #4
My wonderful & talented Dad made this beautiful dresser for Emma. That is my parents gift to all their grandkids. They let us pick out a dresser we want & they make it to look the same. {And of MUCH better quality!}
This was the one I picked out & like the dad-built one even better! :)
*On top is the changing table.
*My parents had given me three sweet little bird hooks several years ago, so dad built the white shelf to put the hooks on. It's the perfect place to showcase a few little things.
*I made the bird canvas.

I love all the "big" things in Emma's room but, to me, what seems to bring a room together are the little details.
Thanks Brooke, for the beautiful pictures of Emma's room. They are such treasures!
{There is no doubt which are hers, and which are mine!!!}

13 comments:

JENNY said...

I love Emma's room. It's so precious. You really did a great job. And, your mom and dad's touches are just perfect. I still can't believe he made that dresser.

Lauren said...

I think Emma's room is so adorable! It is such a happy little room ;)

Lindsay said...

oh my goodness. I LOVE her nursery! I saw that bedding about a year ago and I'm so in love with it! You did a great job!!

Jill said...

I love the bedding as well as the canvas that you made. You are quite creative and talented!

All of the birds are so sweet, and I now understand the little bird on the stationery you sent me with my giveaway win.

Miss G said...

I am so glad you're participating in Cassie's series. It is so helpful to a first time mama-to-be like me. I enjoyed your post last week and in fact my husband and I were at babies r us and i was reading things from y'all's posts off my iphone as we were looking at stuff. :)

This nursery is absolutely beautiful!!! Kelly

Cassie said...

LOVE Emma's nursery! My sister saw Emma's bedding at a baby store here this summer and called me to tell me that if we have a girl, she found the perfect set...as she described it to me I told her that I think I knew exactly which one she was talking about...YOURS! So, so cute!! I love all of the special details, too. Adorable.

mindy said...

what a precious nursery!!!

Mrs. B said...

Your nursery is FABULOUS! You have such a great eye for decorating.

Lifewithsweetcheeks.blogspot.com/

Miss G said...

p.s. thanks also for the link to the cabbage rose. I'm hoping to check it out when my mom comes! Kelly

Jessica said...

I'm so glad that you participated in Cassie's series. I love your nursery. It's probably one of my favorite ones.

I didn't realize that your bedding was Cocalo Couture. I saw this same bedding online a few months ago when I was trying to get ideas, and fell in love with it. I have tried to find it on sale, but haven't been able to.

Lantz and I both love the bedding so much, but we're going to have to find something more affordable. Lucky for you that you got it on sale!

I can't say enough positive things about Emma's room. I love it so much.

You should come to Vegas and do Kennedie's room for me!

Thanks for sharing!

Miss G said...

Ashley, I've been coming over from Cassie's blog and then just now I realized that you're emily's friend Ashley of course! I was just noticing her blog roll and decided to check it out. fun! Well, it's good to realize that the girl with the good baby advice is someone I've actually met in person! Kelly

annalee said...

i absolutely adore the details in miss emma's room! such a sweet place for a sweet girl! you did GREAT.

Lisa Maloney said...

Your mom sent me to your blog for nursery inspiration, and I found it! Emma's room is so beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes. Such a beautiful reflection of your love for that sweet angel. Thanks for sharing. I am truly inspired!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers