Wednesday, October 14, 2009

One Month


Emma Grace-

How can you already be one month old?? I don't know how it is possible. I know people have always told me that it would fly by-and I already see what they mean! You are growing and changing every day. Being your mommy is the best feeling in the world & I love you more than you will ever know. Here are a few things you are up to these days.

*You weigh 8 lbs 9 oz.
*You are wearing newborn clothes & some 0-3 months things are fitting you better now!
*You are eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. And there have been a few days when you eat every 2.
*We are catching some smiles here & there. They are the sweetest thing I've even seen & I still love your sweet little dimple.
*I have heard a few sweet little "coos" from you & waiting to hear more!
*Your hair is getting thicker & we think it's going to be auburn like your moms!
*You still LOVE your bath time & and any time we let you lay around without your diaper on.
*Your eyes are getting lighter & are a pretty blue.
*You sleep best in your bouncy seat, swing or car seat. I think that has to do with a little reflux. I am hoping that passes soon!
*You are the sweetest thing ever & your daddy & I can't get over how blessed we are to be your parents. We love you with all our hearts! --Mom & Dad

***

We went to the doctor yesterday for Emma's one month shot {which she handled like a champ!}. We didn't see the doctor, but I had lots of questions for the nurse. I would also love any advice out there from you moms!
Emma has been really fussy/colicky at night. It usually starts around 7 or 8 & lasts still around 2. Sometimes it goes on all night & sometimes off & on through the day. Which means not much sleep for mommy! She acts like she is really hurting & just about breaks my heart that nothing I do seem to really help. She is also spitting up a lot. The nurse gave me several suggestions. One of which is to go off all diary. Have any of you out there done that when breastfeeding your babies...any suggestions...did it help?

10 comments:

Shelli said...

Ash-
My poor little Kade was allergic to dairy. I will not lie, it's pretty awful for a nursing mom. :) Possible, for sure, but not fun. I would suggest trying it, and hopefully dairy won't be the culprit!!! I have tried to block a lot of that out of my mind (ha!), but I think I remember it takes a couple of weeks with you 100% off of dairy, in order for it to get completely out of your system and Emma's. So if you go dairy free for 2 weeks, and dairy is the culprit, you should see a huge difference within 2 or 3 weeks. Remember, pretty much everything has dairy in it, so you'll have to read labels. My pediatrician was able to take a stool sample in order to confirm the allergy. I don't think I would want to cut out dairy without knowing beforehand that was for sure the prob. Thankfully I was able to eat bread (which has dairy) but no crackers with dairy. Not sure why Kade could tolerate the bread but not crackers. Also, OREO's don't have diary! :) Butter is in so many things, and that was so difficult to catch, especially if we tried to eat out etc. Thankfully Kade outgrew his just before his 1st b-day. Kade also had horrible reflux, so he needed meds for that, along with being dairy free. Fun, fun. Hope it's not the dairy!!! :) Call me for more tips if you need them! love ya and that sweet baby girl!!

erin f. said...

I know SO many people who have gone off of dairy while they are nursing and I think that if that really is the problem, it helps tremendously!

Kim W. said...

Oh, Ashley...I don't have any advice on the dairy subject. I can just say sorry if that is it, because I LIVE on cheese and milk! I have had a friend that had to do that though, and on the positive side, she lost a ton of weight! :) I know that is not the objective, but just to keep things positive... :) Anyhow, hope it gets better soon and that you find out what's the best for you and sweet Emma. Jake was "cholic-y" from about 3 weeks to 6 weeks, and then it passed. He'd start about the same time, and it'd last til about midnight. THOUGHT. I. WAS. GONNA. DIE. :) But I managed, and you will, too. But I remember walking the hallways in our house, and my back hurting SO bad, and I was just about in tears. Am already hoping that in a few more weeks Miss Jolee Kate is a GOOD girl, and I don't have to go thru any of this. :) See, Jack was a CHAMP from the get go, so I had no real issues with him. Jake was definitely harder. So, that's why I am holding onto the hope that mine just get easier. Or maybe I am just getting better, who knows. ;) Anyhow, hang in there. I'll be anxious to hear what you decide to do with the dairy. Luckily, neither of the boys ever cared WHAT I ate; nothing seemed to affect them. Hoping Jolee Kate follows suit! ;)

laura said...

hey. about the dairy-i've been a vegan off and on, so i know a lot of good foods without dairy if you ever want to talk (if you decide to go off dairy). it is possible to have a wonderful diet without dairy (and it's really good for you too-my skin never looked better). and i know of some good fake cheeses and sour creams, etc. so it won't be too bad, if you have to do it.

let me know if you want to talk or if you ever need someone to relieve you of your colicky baby for a nap-seriously. i know we weren't really friends at ACU, but i feel like i know you know through your blog and through Wendi. Anyway, Reese was colicky. NOTHING helped. So seriously, call me sometime and I'll come over and sit with her while you nap. I'd love to. Lucy and Emma could play. I totally know how you feel (Reese cried from 6-2 a.m).

Lucy rarely gets fussy (not trying to rub that in), but when she does, I stick my ring finger in her mouth upside down (most like your nipple) and it totally soothes her. In fact, she was fussy last night (like her tummy hurt and just wouldn't calm down), and after a few minutes of that she was super calm. I know her fussiness is different than Emma's colic, but it's worth a try if you haven't done that already.

I'll leave you with my e-mail if you want to talk dairy or if you want me to come over some time. if you don't invite me, i'll have Wendi bring me over sometime! you need rest! laura.akins@sbcglobal.net

Mary Kay said...

Does she need her Honey? Is that the problem? I am kidding, you know! You are doing a super job! Hang in there! Just remember WHEN she rests...YOU rest!! It's hard to do, because as Moms we always have a long "to-do" list but right now staying rested is at the top of your list! We are praying that her little tummy issues disappear!! And of course, ANYTIME you need Honey to come to town so you can rest...all you need to do is call! :)

Lauren said...

Ashley, I will add miss Emma Grace to my prayer list! You are doing a fantastic job with her, just like your Mama said :) My best advice to you, me not being a Mama yet, is to PRAY. It really does work wonders when you don't know how to help your little doll, because God knows exactly how to heal her little tummy, He created her precious little system and that precious spirit she has! Bless you. I will also be praying for you and David in this time.

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

I know all about that! I went off all dairy for about 3 weeks and fruits and most veggies! Sounds crazy, but they cause terrible gas and tummy aches! I also started sleeping him on his side and rolled a towel and put it under his bed. It raised it so he's not so flat. Worked like a charm...also making sure she gets good burps helps. Titus still projectile vomits about twice a week due to something I've eaten. These are things that worked for us. There is no right way, and mommy knows best. Titus is almost 8 weeks and is much happier! Their stomachs seem to take your milk better after that 1st month...hang in there and continue swaddling. We sleep with a loud box fam and it calms Jin down immediately! You are doing great!

JENNY said...

Oh no! I am so sorry, Ashley. I don't have a lot of advice either, but Jude spits up a TON, too. We keep him propped up and I hold him upright FOREVER after he eats. He projectile vomits, but usually after I eat garlic (I think). I have heard of other moms going off dairy, too. Love you both!

The Weathers said...

Ashley,

I have to tell you, I'm sorry that your dealing with this issue! But, I'm thankful to see your question and your responses, being a new mom myself you don't hear much of these issues! We just went through a spell of the crying, not able to console. Logan is a few days younger than Emma Grace, but I think between 3-6 weeks is when these problem come about. I think it was my diet that was causing Logan to have these spells, I have cut out spicy foods and dairy-- not all dairy, but ice cream and milk, and so far so good! I asked some Moms for advice when this was happening and they told us to keep him elevated like y'all are already doing--or place him elevated on his side--which we have found he LOVES, use Mylicon (antigas medication)-- which I was very against using any type of medication so soon, but we talked to our dr. and it has been a miracle worker or gripe water-all natural, also doing exercises with their legs, such as bicycle riding- bringing the legs extended out and into their belly; seems to stimulate gas and burping. Another thing I have found useful is our baby carrier/backpack thing. I'll stick him in that and walk around the house and it consoles and puts him to sleep. It has been a lifesaver! Oh yes, and another thing we learned to try is if you lay her on your lap stomach down that seems to console as well for a time. Sometimes it's nice just to get the crying to stop for a little while even if you don't get sleep the quiet is nice! :) Btw you have a beautiful little girl!! Congrats! And y'all will be in my prayers! I hope this helped!

Sarah said...

okay sweet Ashley...Elly had this problem also...this is what I did...I got off of all dairy and carbonated drinks. I live on milk and cheese...really, literally...I was able to add cheese back after about 2 months, but sour cream and milk took about 7-8 months and then milk was only once a day.

I have had 2 friends that have gone to an "accupuncturist" with their infants and it really did cure them. We joke that they went to a voodoo doctor, but since it worked, I can't argue about it. Both went in Dallas, so I can get their names for you--sounds crazy, but it did work for them...and NO, they don't poke your baby with needles...they actually use your body to treat the babies, although they don't do it with needles to you either.

Also, my best advice came from Ashley B. for immediate relief--Ray's pharmacy on main has "Gripe Water" that is in an old style brown apothecary glass jar. Its all natural ingredients and its 16.00 for the bottle, but I promise you it is worth EVERY penny. None of the other brands seemed to help or work, but this one worked VERY well within about 5 minutes. Don't walk, RUN to Ray's if she is up for this long crying.

One day my kids will be well enough for an extended period of time that I can come see you...I really do want to get by there.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers