Monday, July 23, 2007

Geocaching

David & I have started geocaching. You can learn more about it at www.geocaching.com. Pretty much you look up coordinates on the website, download them into a GPS, then go find them. People hide different things at the coordinates, post them on the website, you find it & sign the log. Some of them just have a log to sign, & others you are supposed to leave something. Some are named something that gives a clue as to what it might be, and others are in a 35mm film canister, or some other kind of box. One of the ones we found tonight you were supposed to leave a small toy, we didn't have any toys with us so we left a business card of one of David's friends! It's fun to search for them & see all the other people who have signed the log. Some are easier to find than others & they are in all different kinds of containers. Tonight we found 2 out of about 4 or 5 that we looked for. There is a running/biking trial that goes through Mansfield, it runs not to far from our house & there are a lot hidden along the trail. It is right by a creek so the mosquitoes were really bad & there is a lot of poison ivy & such. But it was so fun & we are excited about finding some more & maybe even hiding one of our own! They are hidden all over the U.S. & I think all over the world, you should look for some in your area (if you have a GPS). It easily gets addicting! Here are some pictures of our adventures tonight!


David figuring out which way we need to go...



Following the GPS (That is what I got Dave for his b-day last year)

We found one! Don't worry...it's not real Ice Cream! It was a plastic container & the top screwed off, inside was the log. I found this one right when we were about to give up!

David with "I scream, You scream..." That was the name of this cache.

We signed the log!

David with the 2nd one we found tonight. He spotted this one really quickly.

It was full of toys & kid stuff. It looks like its really cold the way we are dressed! Really we were just trying to keep mosquitoes off & not get any poison ivy/oak on us. Also, there was a big storm coming! :)

5 comments:

Cassie said...

I love it. You could totally be on the Amazing Race with that thing:)

Wendi said...

Hmm.. you'll have to take us to do this. I've never heard of it :)

annalee said...

oh thanks, one more thing evan now knows about to use his GPS for! that looks like a very cool scavenger hunt!

JENNY said...

That's so fun! Chris and I found one of those things on a walk with my cousins in Austin. I had no idea what it was, but then Chris opened the box and told us about geocaching. We will have to do this when Chels and I come....and hopefully our husbands! love you.

Leah J. said...

How fun! We just might have to try it out ... looks addicting!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers