Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Party Planning...on a budget

 After Emma's birthday party, I promised a post about how I saved some pennies for her party. Hopefully it will  inspire some of you...you can do a fabulous party without breaking the bank.
Here are my top three money saving tips.

Tip #1
Decide early what your theme is & PLAN AHEAD!
Once you decided what direction you are going you can always be on the hunt for things that will work.
This helps spread the cost out over several months AND gives you time to search sales & use coupons.

Tip #2
Search the Sales & Dollar Bins.

Sales:
Searching the sale aisles after holidays can save you big bucks later on. For Emma's party I found pink plates on sale for less than $1 after Valentines Day. At that point I hadn't decided on the theme, but knew that hot pink could definitely be worked in. 
I plan on going to Target after Halloween this year & trying to grab a great black cupcake stand that they have. It is cute black wire stand that would be great for any party or holiday...and it would be at least 40-50% off.

Craft stores have great weekly sales & coupons. Start watching their sale circulars for items you might want. Sometimes you have to start watching early, because certain items might only be put on sale once a month or even less often that that. 
For example...ribbon can make a big impact. Hobby Lobby often puts theirs on sale for 1/2 price. I bought plain pink, green & brown grosgrain ribbon in different widths for Emma's party, and put it to good use, spending only 1/2 the money! Most of them frequently run 40 or 50% off one item coupons every week or two. These are great for bigger items, or items that you don't see on sale. Once again, this requires you to plan ahead!

Dollar Bins:
Target, Michaels & even Wal-Mart have great items for only $1. Yes, many of the things in the bins can look cheap or junky, but others can be great additions for your party.
Here are a few surprising things I found for Emma's party that were only $1. 

Wal-Mart has some great party stuff for $1 in basic bright colors.
Tissue paper
Favor boxes. 
I LOVE these & plan to use them again. I added some 1/2 price ribbon & a little bird tag {that I made & printed myself} to jazz it up a bit. I believe it was a package of 8 boxes for $1.
Green straws from Michales for $1
Pink bowl from Target for $1

Tip #3
Use Fabric & Scrapbook Paper
I bought about 5 fat quarters and used just about every square inch! 
{If you don't know what a fat quarter is...there is a good description here.}
You can find them in any fabric or craft store, and even Wal-Mart has started carrying them in their craft department. They normally run around $1-2.50, depending on where you are. If you find a fabric you want but don't see a fat quarter, you can ask them to cut one for you.  

Scrapbook paper has lots of uses other than for a scrapbook! I bought only 3 pieces for Emma's party, but they made a pretty big impact. I even hit the jackpot & found paper that matched the fabric I was using. They go on sale often, and can be used so many ways.
Here are a few ways I used my fabric & paper:
 Sewed & stuff birds to hang above the table
A fabric Happy Birthday banner {that can be used for years to come!}
{I also put to use some of that 1/2 price ribbon!}
 A party hat {paper with a fabric ruffle sewed on} & a mini fabric bunting banner around the high chair.
 More mini buntings around the table & cake. I put scrapbook paper under the cake stands.
 Once again, more fabric bunting. I used more of the paper to cover two tins that I had in my kitchen that tea bags had come in. I filled them with some crinkle paper I had in my gift wrapping box & stuck the little signs in them. What a big impact for only about 25 cents!


Hopefully you got some new ideas! Let me know if you have any other questions, or visit Snowbird Design with help on your paper & print needs!!

6 comments:

kristin fulghum said...

so helpful! thanks.

JENNY said...

GREAT tips! Thanks for sharing.

Jill said...

A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!! Thanks for all the great tips :)

Jessica said...

This is so fabulous, Ashley! The thing I always hate about putting ALL THAT WORK into a party is that you usually can't use all those cute little touches again. I love how you repurpose or make things that can be used again! Thanks for sharing. ;)

Kim said...

You KNOW I loved this post...THANKS! ;) I think Emma had the cutest little party ever, and I am STILL so SAD that we missed it! Bummer! Anyhow, hope yall are doing well and I am excited to see you and that baby girl sometime soon!

Jessica said...

Great ideas Ashley! I plan on putting some of these into action!

I've tried to start thinking about Kennedie's first birthday party, but it seems so far away... I know it will sneak up though. I also think the hardest part is trying to decide on the theme. You did such a great job with Emma's birthday!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers