Calling all mom's!
I need a little advice. :)
I need a little advice. :)
We started Emma on cereal this week. She is NOT a fan. Now, I know that it all is a process & defiantly takes some getting used to. We've tried different consistencies, we've tried mixing it with breast milk & also with water, we've tried it in the morning, we've tried it at night. No matter what, she's just NOT a fan quite yet!
Should we just keep trying it each day?
Should I mix the cereal with baby food instead of pumped milk or water?
Should I give it a break for a little while & try again in a week or two or three?
Should I mix the cereal with baby food instead of pumped milk or water?
Should I give it a break for a little while & try again in a week or two or three?
Let me hear your best mommy advice! :)


14 comments:
Hewson didn't like cereal alone either, but this is what I did...I tried using warm formula (your case breastmilk) mixed in with the cereal for about a week. When he still wouldn't take it, I tried mixing in a vegetable. He loved peas, he ate that up quickly (and is still always wanting more!).
Hope that helps. Love ya!!!
I have fed 2 different babies that I nannied for and Ellie their first foods, and all three of them have not really taken to it immediately. I just kept trying and am still in the "trying" process with Ellie. She sucks on her fingers after she takes each bite and "drinks" it down! I keep trying to wean her from doing that but she eats a ton that way so I just let her. I would keep trying every few days and see if she starts to like it better. Are you just doing the cereal or have you tried the single grain oatmeal? Ellie likes the oatmeal better than rice cereal. Hope that helps! I am in the same boat with learning as we go!
I just kept trying with Jude. It took about a week. And, we mixed ours occasionally with pear juice. He really likes that. Good luck!
levi never had problems taking rice cereal, but will HATED it. he never took it until i mixed it with bananas. so he never ate just plain cereal...he went straight to cereal with flava!
Alexandra LOVED it right away!!! It was really just lots of breast milk with a tiny bit of cereal at first.
Leighton likes the Banana and Oatmeal cereal with formula. I personally still eat the Banana and Oatmeal one.
I should also say that Leighton is on breastmilk and DOES like formula better in the cereal.
ashley, you have no idea that i read your blog, but i do, and emma is ADORABLE. anyway, i just thought i would share what i've experienced with the whole cereal bit. cailyn didn't like cereal much, and i did like some of your other momma friends have said...we started regular baby food sooner than i had planned. it went over well. corban (he's almost 5m old now) started cereal like 3 wks. ago, and he loves it. way different experience. like jenny said, i have mixed a tiny bit of apple juice and also a cranapple juice with it. through both experiences, i have had a book that has helped me IMMENSELY with any eating ?s i've had...even now that cailyn is nearing 3 yrs. old. i would totally recommend it. i have gone to it as a reference many times. it's called "Child of Mine - Feeding with Love and Good Sense", and it's by Ellyn Satter. anyway, it has a lot of great information about starting your child on cereal and baby food (plus a lot more). honestly, it would be a great investment in my opinion. good luck with emma, and remember, she'll eventually catch on!
alison thompson
www.thethompsonfamily.wordpress.com
Hi Ashley, love reading your blog and seeing pictures of sweet little Emma!
With both of my girls', I did not start them on solids (cereal included) until well into their 6th month. By that time, they were eager. They would watch the spoon go to and from my mouth when I was eating and they were really aware of meals. When it came time for them to take their first bites, they knew exactly what to do and there was no turning back.
With that said, every child is different, so what seems "normal" for some might not be what miss Emma prefers. :)
If you're still nursing her full time, she's getting exactly what she needs, so there's really no rush. Enjoy those sweet times bonding while you nurse her... they pass by too quickly!
Have a great weekend!
Titus will be 5 months on the 24th of January. To be honest, I've only given it to him about 3 times. He doesn't hate it but definitely makes ugly faces. I've heard several moms say rice cereal has little to no nutritional value, and it's just to introduce them to the spoon and food. I never thought twice about adding anything other than breast milk to it, but not maybe i'm not so scared to add juice, etc. Titus also has 2 teeth has had them since the week he turned 3 months. So, I think he's overly ready for food. I'm scared. I may try that book! It seems like a good one. Good luck!!
Molly
Okay, I just wanted to add a few cents in here as well...we didn't start either child until their 6th month either. We had no reason to and our doctor was fine with waiting, so we did. I wouldn't wait longer just because of texture issues-and not that I'm saying don't feed them, but it is just easier to wait. Both of our kids really liked it within just a few days. I would STRONGLY encourage you to hold off on adding anything "sweet" to baby cereal or foods until you've established a love for all things not sweet. Obviously most babies will love anything sweet, but I've discovered that if you establish a love of cereal and veggies, they will continue to love these things and will be happy still eating peas and green beans at 5 yrs old with lunch and dinner. Of course, I have pretty strong food opinions because I am a sweet LOVER (and I blame my mom...she gave us cokes in our bottles...LOL!)but I did not want to recreate that in my kids--I want them to be extremely healthy eaters with a healthy, moderate desire for sweets. So far that's worked for Logan...Elly's probably a completely different story! LOL!
When I tried it with Riley,he didn't really like it at first, so I waited a week and tried it again. I didn't really force it on him and once he started eating it, there where even somedays we would get so busy and I would realize before we went to bed that i hadn't fed him any solids. He turned out ok.
This is good to read since I am getting ready to start on cereal too. I found a bottle that has a little disk thing that will help her take cereal from a bottle with not much air. We will see how it goes...
Payton could have cared less about cereal or baby food. So I stopped and waited until 6 months. She did okay with it then. Presley loved cereal thick. The mixed cereal with fruit worked the best. She ate that until about 9 months every morning. I only added warm water to it. Ohh, I started her at about 5 months. I wouldn't start it until she acted interested in your food or didn't seem full with just the milk. Hope this helps.
Post a Comment